I am so surprised at all the props I am receiving for the fresh fig smoothie. Thanks everyone!!
It’s Friday night – I’m at home in my pi’s watching House Hunters and writing about yoga. And you know what – I am okay with that. I shared with you recently how yoga has changed my life this year. I hope to do regular yoga themed posts on the blog since it has become an important part of everyday for me.
For the past week or so, I have started every morning with my current favorite yoga pose : Warrior 3.
I love this pose right now because my hamstrings are always super tight from walking around NYC. I like to start with the supported variation – finger tips on the ground for an extra stretch in my legs. It feels so good.
Warrior 3 is one of those great yoga poses that is really working your whole body strengthening several areas of the body:
- Upper Back
- Lower Back
- Lengthens Spine
Warrior 3 also comes with a many different arm variations so you can constantly be playing with your balance and focus to challenge yourself. Your arms can go straight out in front, out to the side airplane style, palms at your chest with your hands in prayer, arms extended back.
- Square off your hips
- Flex extended foot; toes pointing down
- Reach, lengthen through hands, down through grounded leg, and back through extended leg
- Keep core tight to tone and for balance
To up the ante a bit for my core. I added a sort of warrior 3 crunch.
- Hold your chosen warrior variation for a few breaths
- Next breath out, round knee towards your nose and bring arms down towards chest
- Inhale to return to warrior 3
- Repeat 2 times, moving with breath
Balance work is great for simultaneously focusing your mind and strengthening your core.
I’m off to veg some more in honor of the long weekend.
What is your favorite exercise/yoga pose right now??