bb is making his way back to NYC as we speak. He is on a late night flight from Phoenix, and he has been gone for almost 6 weeks. In honor of his return, I am here at 11 pm whipping up one of our favorite things: Mujadara Lentils.
It is kind of weird, it feels like it has been so much longer. I’ve developed this crazy routine on my own. We’ve been together since high school and he has always been factored into my daily schedule somehow. I’ve never really been completely on my own to do as I pleased all the time.
This past six weeks were great -
- I threw my clothes on the floor
- I went to yoga everyday
- Strolled home at about 9 pm every night
- Made whatever I wanted for dinner when I did get home, and only had to cook for one
- Had extra food money to spend on things I’ve been wanting – mainly artisan tea, yogurt, and ice cream
- I slept sideways across the whole bed
I think with everything going on in both our lives, some alone time was probably needed. I learned a lot about myself, and him. In addition, I got a lot of time to think about things and what I want from life.
It was a fun little break, but I am ready for him to be back. I have learned that I would like to keep my routine some days. And he can figure out dinner for himself (or both of us gasp!) It is important to balance both together and alone time. Something we were probably struggling with before.
Before starting on lentil dish, I rushed home from work to get cleaning. I let the room get a little out of hand. We have a cramped, cluttered space as it is, so it is really nice to have it clean again. I am also ready to get back to going to be earlier. With him gone I ended up staying awake until 1-2 every night, and still getting up at 630-7. Not ideal.
Other reasons I’m happy he is coming back
- Our Blue Bottle coffee dates
- Having someone else to be at home with me in PJ’s on a Friday night.
- Someone to talk to all the time – while I was having life epiphanies I wanted him to be here to share them with
- Sherlock!! We always have a show that we end up addicted to and watch during dinner/ or at night when we have time. We were watching the second season of the BBC series Sherlock, and I’ve been suffering withdraws.
I didn’t think it was a big deal and I even thought I kind of liked my new alone routine. But I’ve been experiencing some nervous excitement all day. I guess that goes to show you after almost 8 years, I really do love him.
I even ran around getting his favorite things for tomorrow. NY Bagel on the counter, strawberry cream cheese, in the fridge, Ralph’s Creme Ice Birthday Cake and Rainbow Cookie in the freeze, and lentils simmering for lunch tomorrow. He is so spoiled. I hope he realized that while he was gone ; )
Mujadara Lentils, Rice, and Onions
I learned this from my mom. I eat giant bowls of this every time I am at home. I love to top it with some greek yogurt and little hot sauce. Usually it is a 1:1 ratio of lentils to rice, but I like it with more lentils. And I use brown rice. It is so simple – just lentils, rice, and onions, but when they all simmer together for so long it just tastes so good. We never get sick of it.
**Update 9/5/12 : The key is the onions! Don’t skimp on them!! Maybe even add more than 2. **
- 1 cup dry,uncooked brown lentils
- 1/2 dry,uncooked brown rice
- 2 medium onions – chopped/diced
- ~3.5 cups water
- 1 Teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 -1 Teaspoon pepper (I like a lot)
- 1- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- greek yogurt for serving (optional)